Audition announcements for our upcoming season will be posted here and to our Facebook page. Stay tuned for more information!
Olympia Little Theatre’s 2016 – 2017 Season
A Trip to Bountiful (Horton Foote) Mar 24-April 9, 2017 - directed by James Patrick email@example.com
Auditions are set for January 23 & 24th by appointment. Email the director for an appointment. Callbacks will be January 25.
Carrie Watts is living the twilight of her life trapped in an apartment in 1940's Houston, Texas with a controlling daughter-in-law and a hen-pecked son. Her fondest wish -- just once before she dies -- is to revisit Bountiful, the small Texas town of her youth which she still refers to as "home." The trouble is her son, Ludie, is too concerned for her health to allow her to travel alone and her petty daughter-in-law, Jessie Mae, insists they don't have money to squander on bus tickets. This prompts "escape" attempts each month which coincide with the arrival of Mrs. Watts' Social Security check. Then, Mrs. Watts makes a successful escape and last trip home.
- Carrie Watts, female, age 65+
- Ludie Watts, male, age 35+
- Jessie Mae Watts, female, age 35+
- Thelma, age 25+
- Houston Ticket Man #1, 30+
- Harrison Ticket Man, 30+
- Houston Ticket Man #2, age 30+
- Sheriff, age 35+
Shakespeare in Hollywood (Ken Ludwig) - A magical screwball comedy set in 1930's Hollywood. May 5-21, 2017 - directed by Kendra Malm firstname.lastname@example.org
Auditions are set for March 13th & 14th @ 7pm at Olympia Little Theatre, 1925 Miller Avenue NE
Let us take you to a magical place, where dreams come true, the boy gets the girl, and the villain gets his comeuppance, Hollywood, 1934, and the filming of “A Midsummers Night’s Dream”. Max Reinhart, the director, has problems he never had in Germany; a studio head with a girlfriend who wants to be a star, a gimlet-eyed censor, a nosey gossip columnist, and now the actors playing Oberon and Puck have dropped out. Due to a small magical wrong-turn, the actual Oberon and Puck show up and are promptly cast as, you guessed it, Oberon and Puck!
- Oberon (Male, 40’s-60’s) The magical King; imperious, impatient, commanding but with a saving touch of whimsy.
- Puck (Female, 20’s) The woodland sprite; man/boy mischief-maker and Oberon’s gofer
- Jack Warner (Male, 40’s-50’s) A harried studio head.
- Max Reinhart (Male, 50’s-60’s) Sardonic director & fugitive from Hitler’s Germany.
- Will Hays (Male, 40’s-60’s) The watchdog, censorious and self-centered.
- Daryl (Male, 20’s-30’s) Jack Warner’s gofer & yes-man.
- Olivia Darnell (Female, 20’s-30’s) Starlet of the girl-next-door type; plays Hermia in “Dream”.
- Lydia Lansing (Female, 20’s-30’s) Blonde bombshell with a bountiful figure & less than bountiful intellect, but a nice kid at heart; plays Helena in “Dream”.
- Louella Parsons (30’s-50’s) Gossip columnist & radio personality; at times gushing & at times calculating.
- Dick Powell (20’s-30’s) Handsome, boyish leading man; plays Lysander in “Dream”.
- Jimmy Cagney (20’s-40’s) In his comedy, song-and-dance mode, not his gangster mode.
- Joe E. Brown (30’s-40’s) The hangdog funny man.
- The actors playing Hays, Brown, Cagney, Powell, and Darryl double as Albert, Harry and Sam Warner, as well as Groucho, Tarzan, Cowboy and two stagehands.
Communicating Doors (Alan Ayckbourn) A Time-Travelling Murder Mystery Farce (yes, really!) June 16 - July 2, 2017 - directed by Kathryn Beall email@example.com
Murder, suspense, intrigue, sex and... oh yeah, TIME TRAVEL! Three women. One hotel suite. In 1997 one on her honeymoon night. In 2017 one about to be murdered. In 2037, one discovers that a very unique door holds the key to all three lives. Poopay, a professional sex specialist, stumbles upon murder and mayhem when an old man hires her to hear his confession rather than her usual services. His partner in crime decides that Poopay must be silenced. Permanently. Fleeing thru the communicating door of the hotel suite, she finds that it leads not into the adjacent hotel room, but another time, 20 years earlier, on the night of a carefully planned murder. Will Poopay foil the murderer and rewrite history? Says the playwright, “It’s a mix of Psycho and Back to the Future in the Hitchcock vein but it’s funny.” (And, yes, it really is!)
Roles Available: (These are playing ages; the same actor will play the character at both ages.)
- Reece - A businessman, age 30 & 70
- Jessica - His first wife, age 25 & 45
- Ruella - His second wife, age 45
- Julian - His business associate, age 45 & 65
- Poopay (Pheobe) - A prostitute, age 33
- Harold – A house detective, age 35 & 55
General info about OLT auditions
Our audition procedures are generally as follows, but may vary at the discretion of the Director:
Auditions are typically held on a Monday and a Tuesday evening, starting at 7:00 p.m. You do not have to attend both nights of auditions, but you are welcome to read both nights of auditions if you'd like. If callbacks are necessary, the director will schedule the date and time.
Audition appointments are not necessary unless you are unable to attend auditions on the regularly scheduled days and times. In that case, the Director may agree to schedule a separate audition appointment for you. This choice is entirely up to the Director.
Auditions will consist of cold readings from the script. You do not need to have prepared monologues. Copies of the scripts for the current season's plays are available at the Downtown, Lacey, and Tumwater branches of the Timberland Library. You may ask for a copy of the script at the information desk. Scripts are only available for use at the library and may not be checked out.
Headshots and resumes are welcome at auditions, but are not necessary.
Rehearsals are typically Monday through Thursday. Additional rehearsals and/or the rehearsal schedule are at the Director's discretion. Performances are typically Thursday through Sunday; Sunday is the only matinee. Special performances are typically on the Tuesday evening after the second weekend of performances.
Olympia Little Theatre is a community theater and you need not have any previous experience, just passion and commitment!